Monday, July 20, 2009

Ribs Ribs Ribs Ribs

I tried a couple of new tricks on the ribs this weekend with great results. First, I didn't take the time to marinate overnight. I went with a wet marinade instead. I used basalmic vinegar and honey mustard and olive oil along with salt and pepper for an hour long marinade. I put 4 slabs in the smoke for two hours. I used hickory chunks that had been soaking overnight.

I ran out of my usual rib rub and made some myself. I made it with brown sugar, ancho pepper, cumin, black pepper, kosher salt, dry mustard, lime crystals, garlic salt, onion powder, and paprika. Eleven herbs and spices. When I got finished, it tasted like pringles bar b que chips. I put the dry rub on the ribs at the 2 hour time and wrapped them in foil. They cooked for 4 more hours in the foil on very low. The rub made a nice spicy crust on the ribs. Very good.

One other trick, I used my fish gloves to remove the membrane on the back of the ribs. They have sticky ridges that help hold on to the membrane and it comes off in one pull. Helps make the ribs easier to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment